Public Schooling versus Home Schooling

Foxfire

VIP
Joined
Jan 16, 2005
Messages
1,374
I don't know how or why I was thinking about this but I was. Its been debatable as to what method is more accurate and educational. Home schooling or Public Schooling?

Personally I'm kind of torn between both, maybe its my indecisive nature or what not. I think both have pros and cons. We'll start with home schooling first.

Home schooling is a great way for students to learn. I think most students can concentrate more without peer pressure, drugs, sex, etc. And most have the luxury of staying home (unless I'm wrong). They have one - on one contact with the teacher(s) rather than relying on a whole group of students. They don't have to worry about the expense of driving to school or taking the bus. They learn to be more mature with being so close to the teacher.

However I do think being alone can hinder their social skills (for some, not all) such as co - existing with other peers like public schooling does. They don't have dances, proms, year books, spirit week, extra circular activities such as sports, drama, band, etc. They rely on one person rather than a faculty of teachers and staff.

Public schooling has dances, proms, year books, etc. The student can interact with students and form deep meaningful friendships. They have several teachers to aide them in studies. After school activities are an open for them.

But there's violence on school grounds, peer pressure to "fit" in with the "cool people," dress with designer brands, etc. Unless its a school uniform, then it decreases some of the pressure. There's always the "drama" of High School, Middle School, etc., with other students. A heavier risk of suicide due to the pressures of being enrolled in public schooling. Physical Education for those who despise it while others enjoy it.

It can really go either way, both have pro's and con's. I kind of want to say home schooling is better but it does have its downfalls too.

What do you guys think?
 
Well, any compare and contract discussion would do with iput from BOTH sides. No doubt you went to public school. I went to BOTH...and I have two homeschooled siblings and two public schooled siblings.

Like you said... the level of quality and PERSONALIZED education for homeschoolers superceeds ANYTHING the public school system can offer.... i would even venture to say its it higher quility than PRIVATE schools... strictly BECAUSE it is so TAILORED to the individual... and personal issues can be handled so effieciently.

True, public schools offer a social experience that homeschool can't duplicate... but personally, I think it does more DAMAGE than good. My thirteen year old sister goes to public school... she is exposed to sexual SLANDER... drugs... alchohol... all these things are 'cool'. public school has sure changed since I was there. My 15 yo step brother is also public schooled...and unfortunately, it has played to the way his mother raised him before he was shipped off to live with us so 'his dad could straighten him out'. My brother is in SO much legal trouble... and he is too apathetic to do anything about it... He was into drugs [probably still is] and is one of those white 'thugs' that really drive me insane.

While homeschoolers dont get social events like dances, proms, etc, don't think that they get NO social exposure whatsoever. My sisters have extracuricular activities, such as horseback, dance, etc, which expose them to a wide variety of social experiences. They make friends THERE with people who have similar interests and frequently go out to popular hangouts where they can interact with OTHER peers as well.

I was homeschooled from grade 7 up until my freshman year of college, when i went to a community college to get acclimated to the college atmosphere. I have no problems relating to my classmates.

the public school atmosphere establishes a one-size-fits-all type of world where the 'cool kids' all look like clones and spend outrageous amount of money to be unifrom.

the homeschool atmosphere fosters INDIVIDUAL intellectuals who arent afraid to be themselves.

while you DO have extremes on both sides of the tracks and successful children come from BOTH venues... i personally think there is NO contest. Homeschooling is FAR better if you're looking to give a child value of education AND value of self.
 
Personally, I don't think you can say one is better than the other, considering it all depends on personal preference and what public school you went to [if you went to one at all]. I've been going to public schools my entire life, and wouldn't have it any other way.


“They learn to be more mature with being so close to the teacher.”

I don't necessarily think you can say that either. Once again I've been going to public school all my life and I think I'm mature, as are a lot of other students my age and even younger. It depends on how you were raised, and what you have or haven't been exposed to that determines the level of maturity that you choose to hold. Establishing a closer relationship with your teacher shouldn't, and in my opinion doesn't affect your maturity at all. But that's just me.

In addition, like I said above I don't think you can really compare the others pro's and con's, considering no one goes, or has went through the exact same high school, or public school experiences. In my school the popular kids don't all look the same, don't try to be the same, or 'clones' like most popular groups are stereotyped to do. Not all kids spend tremendous amounts of money to try and be cool, etc. The list goes on, you can't stereotype public schooling as a whole based on your own public school experience, because no public school is the same.

“the homeschool atmosphere fosters INDIVIDUAL intellectuals who arent afraid to be themselves. ”

And public school doesn't? The above comment pretty much says that home schooling allows you to be yourself, where as public schooling doesn't, but I think that is completely and utterly false. Public schooling doesn't have uniforms like private schools do, allowing you to wear what you desire and express yourself without "trying to be like everybody else". Public schooling allows a huge diverse group of people to come together and BE themselves, sure there are people that want to be like everybody else, and fit in with the so called "norm", but that's not because of public schooling, that's a personal problem.

In my opinion, there is no contest between the Public schooling system and Home schooling. I've been in the Public school system for my entire life, and I don't think that you can stereotype the entire system based off one, or even a number of bad experiences. Public School builds you up for the real world [although I'm not saying home schooling doesn't] and exposes you to a LOT that you'll see out there in the world. Some of it is bad, like drugs, alcohol, etc. But that's not because of the public school system, that's just the type of world we live in today. Where little kids are found selling drugs, drinking, etc.

The Public School's shouldn't be blamed for society's problems. And they shouldn't be stereotyped and grouped together when every single school is different, as are the students that attend. You can't put a negative spin on public schooling just because some student’s experiences aren't the best. But then again I've never been home schooled, so I can't really make a valid point on the other end of the spectrum either, but PERSONALLY I love the public schooling system, and definitely wouldn't like going to a private school, or being home schooled.

But then again, that's just me and my opinion .
 
Last edited by a moderator:
This is a big debate especially in Conservative and Right Wing circles.

I am for private schools the gender mixing and social skills of a public school with the attention of home schooling.

I am for public schools, I went to one, and it had the same pressures, I didnt' fall into them and many other folks don't.
 
I don't necessarily think you can say that either. Once again I've been going to public school all my life and I think I'm mature, as are a lot of other students my age and even younger. It depends on how you were raised, and what you have or haven't been exposed to that determines the level of maturity that you choose to hold. Establishing a closer relationship with your teacher shouldn't, and in my opinion doesn't affect your maturity at all. But that's just me.

I think I CAN say that my dear. ;) I too have gone to public school all my life. Based on MY observation I find that close one - on - one interaction causes students to learn to grow, change, etc. IF they are close to that specific teacher. You learn (well I learned) to adapt socially and even "mirroring" that teacher's way of thinking.

It CAN happen Oblivion, you even said every school is different. So if you make a statement like this, you'd be having a double standard.

But you do bring a valid point with how a person is raised, their experiences, etc. I too was more mature and superior to most of my peers. I had a more advanced reading level during the seventh grade, which was college level, second year. Maybe it was my upbringing for wanting to read college - bound books, etc. I don't know. I do know that my family AND teachers played a valid part in my maturity level.



In addition, like I said above I don't think you can really compare the others pro's and con's, considering no one goes, or has went through the exact same high school, or public school experiences. In my school the popular kids don't all look the same, don't try to be the same, or 'clones' like most popular groups are stereotyped to do. Not all kids spend tremendous amounts of money to try and be cool, etc. The list goes on, you can't stereotype public schooling as a whole based on your own public school experience, because no public school is the same.

Its a general statement, everything has pro's and con's. And if I didn't state my opinion of pros and cons, we wouldn't be having this debate. ;) I think its fair to state them, then we receive feedback from the next person. Which in this case was Lexi aka Titania.

I admit that statement was vague but in MY State, of New York everyone has the "clone" effect going on. Its not necessarily a stereotypical statement, its a fact. I'm speaking for my state, just like your speaking for yours.
 
Back
Top