Questionable Advertising?

scythe

Unknown
Joined
Nov 1, 2005
Messages
2
I like women - and looking at them - so I'm not about to say I hate this clip (because I particularly like looking at this woman) -- www.getthewholething.com, but I'm curious if anyone has an opinion on advertising that's this sexual. I mean, this thing makes the Paris burger thing look like Sesame Street.
 
scythe said:
I like women - and looking at them - so I'm not about to say I hate this clip (because I particularly like looking at this woman) -- www.getthewholething.com, but I'm curious if anyone has an opinion on advertising that's this sexual. I mean, this thing makes the Paris burger thing look like Sesame Street.

Doesn't bother me, but then again I'm it's target demographic. <shrugs> If they decided to advertise it around programs that were rated for children 14 and under, or thereabouts, I would think it was poorly placed.

:rant:

I strongly dislike people who think they know it all. Despite the fact that they know very little, and quite often know practically nothing about things they project so much smug confidence it just makes me sick.
 
This is the very reason why I hate the advertising world. They believe, and are usually right, that sex sells...everything. I can see lingerie being sold as sexy but Napster, can someone tell me how the fuck Napster is sexy. Or the other one I hate is the Carls Jr., where the woman is eating a burger in a sexy manner. What's funny is most women that eat regularly at Carls Jr. are over weight slobs and look nothing like the ad.

Same with beer commericals. "If you drink this beer sexy women will fight over you." If anyone has ever been to a bar the woman to man ratio is very, very low. And usually the sexiest women are the bartenders and they get hit on by every man in the joint.

Personally I'm not influenced by advertising at all. The only thing that I got out of that ad is "another gorgeous woman that would even give me the time of day." I'm probably in a minority of one amongst my gender for my views. You could most likely sell sulphuric acid to men, if the commercial was sexy enough.
 
I felt like I was in a strip club LOL! :vamp: But seriously, I thought this advertisement was lame. Like CK pointed out, Napster is NOT sexy and it does not relate to music...at all. Granted sex does sell but look at who they are targeting, MALES! I know a lot of other women out there who use Napster, aren't they entitled to a male viewing too or is this a man's world?

I think they could have done a better job targeting the audience. It it was panties and bra's, okay. But music? That's crap. She's just eye candy, nothing more or less. After viewing that, I wasn't like "oh I wanna download music now!!" :sure:
 
Mostly? I thought the lingerie was really cute! :D I actually liked the ad, I thought it was really clever. Now I agree with Mat (as usual, lol) that if it were airing during certain shows or what have you that I would think it was badly placed. But on...say...the Spike network or something, I would just laugh.
 
those commerical spots are dumb as hell. OBVIOUSLY they cater to a male demographic (and it betrays just how LITTLE it takes to capture a male viewer's attention..:rolleyes: ) most women who saw these commercials would probably change the channel before the actual product being promoted by the commercial was PRESENTED because it looks like a silly, skanky video clip.

some advertisers take the whole "sex sells" thing WAY too far and it just becomes a "wtf" moment when you see some of these commercials and the inudeno they are filled with.

now i could UNDERSTAND if this was something to do with Victoria's Secret..because their fashion shows, catalogues and spreads drip with erotic imagery and sex appeal but thats the whole idea...the lingerie makes the women look and feel sexy ..not just for the men in their lives but for THEMSELVES.
 
now i could UNDERSTAND if this was something to do with Victoria's Secret..because their fashion shows, catalogues and spreads drip with erotic imagery and sex appeal but thats the whole idea...the lingerie makes the women look and feel sexy ..not just for the men in their lives but for THEMSELVES.

I agree with everything you spoke of Spell, especially this quote. :nod: When I first watched this, I had that "wtf" moment lol before the end of the slogan came on. :shrug:

I remember an old ad Napster had involving I think an Ipod and it was clever. That I could see but not this.
 
Personally I thought it was clever and funny because it reminded me of the porn previews that are on the net (ahem...so I'm told) that give you 5 - 20secs of nothing but the 'narrative' and leave's you 'longing' to know how it all ends up...lol.

But then I am the pathetic demographic that this is aimed at! I just want to point out that I watched it twice. But I still wouldn't buy anything from napstar though.
 
Spellbinder said:
....and it betrays just how LITTLE it takes to capture a male viewer's attention..:rolleyes:

Guilty as charged. And I hope I never change, honestly. The day the sudden appearance of an attractive woman doesn't give me pause enough to notice is the day I've lost my bestial animal self - a part of my personal makeup I'm quite fond of, truth be told.

Though I must admit I hate it when entertainment takes the form of simple stereotypes meant to entice me because of my sexuality and fail, miserably. The Man Show was a good example of that. The context kept any of the girls from being attractive. With that said, you can definitely criticize Napster for creating a commercial meant to entice guys like me, but at least they pulled it off in a way that we didn't find insulting.
 
Mat said:
you can definitely criticize Napster for creating a commercial meant to entice guys like me, but at least they pulled it off in a way that we didn't find insulting.

and who is the "WE" you are referring to? certainly it isnt WOMEN that your talking about because once again it is a woman , who is appearing in a soft core skanky presentation, that is being used to entice men. once again, i would suspect that MOST women wouldnt find these ads, cute, clever or funny...but rather predictable of most of today's advertising tactics, not to mention tacky and retarded.
 
Spellbinder said:
but rather predictable of most of today's advertising tactics, not to mention tacky and retarded.

I fully agree. The advertising world is tacky and retarded. I hate to say it but I'm almost ashamed of my gender for being this susceptable to advertising. Okay, she's hot...and...What? I guess once you get to the point and realize that no woman on the planet will ever find you desirable in any way, shape or form, you just say, Why the fuck should I bother?
 
Spellbinder said:
and who is the "WE" you are referring to?

Well, considering my sentence reads as follows:

"you can definitely criticize Napster for creating a commercial meant to entice guys like me, but at least they pulled it off in a way that we didn't find insulting."

the WE means "guys like me" ;)

And I'm quite sure a good number of women (and men) don't find the commercial very funny or in good taste. Advertisements tend to be about how effective they are at selling a product, however. The simple fact that we're discussing the ad on these boards may be one of the reasons they made it the way they did - so people would talk about it, even if they had negative things to say about it. In that regard, the advertisement succeeded in doing what it was created to do.
 
Mat said:
And I'm quite sure a good number of women (and men) don't find the commercial very funny or in good taste. Advertisements tend to be about how effective they are at selling a product, however. The simple fact that we're discussing the ad on these boards may be one of the reasons they made it the way they did - so people would talk about it, even if they had negative things to say about it. In that regard, the advertisement succeeded in doing what it was created to do.

Can I get an Amen to that!

I thought this the second time I watched the advert. Even then I have to say 'so what, if they believe showing a woman stripping in an advert will entice me to buy their products. It won't.'

But I will enjoy the advert though and I don't think there is anything wrong in doing so. I found the woman attractive and her moves were good, it gave me 30secs of enjoyment (watching the thing) and offered a minor fantasy... If they made an advert of a man stripping it also wouldn’t bother me in fact it might show me a thing or two that I could use in the bedroom… What would bother me are people that actually join for the reasons of that advert alone.

I personally won't ignore or feel insulted by this advert for the reasons of its probable hidden suggestion. I'm a red blooded male (pathetic as that is and I don’t think it is) if I see a women I think is attractive on the TV, in a film, on the cover of a magazine or passing me in the street I'm going to look, admire and like what I see. I don't think that personally makes me shallow.

The operative word is ‘attraction’ and we are compelled to what we find attractive (physical or mental) and in all cases the woman in the advert is physically attractive to me. I'm not confessing my undying love, I don’t want to get to know her and in regards to that advert I have no intention of becoming a dedicated customer of Napstar. I just liked what I saw so I watched it twice.

So why should I not like this advert with the sexy woman stripping? Does that mean I shouldn't admire women I find physically attractive? Wouldn't that go against my sexual nature?

As for the advert why is it so bad? You can't market a product to everyone as each group/demographic has different needs, wants and desires. Therefore adverts have to be specific as to who their target audience is and clearly this is aimed at a particular demographic that is mostly driven by a socially regulated sense of attraction and desire ('Over here' they are identified as the 'buy now, save later'). Members of that demographic probably know what Napstar is, does and sells and arguably those that saw this advert would have had experience of downloading half a song, film or merely getting the preview. So in that respects hasn’t the advert successfully communicated (despite its content which, is more than likely going to entertain and be funny to most within that demographic) the message it was created to do?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You've made some valid points DDD. But let's put the shoe on the other foot using your quote from below:


So why should I not like this advert with the sexy woman stripping? Does that mean I shouldn't admire women I find physically attractive? Wouldn't that go against my sexual nature?


I agree with you on most men enjoying the look of women, its natural. And your entitled to admire women too and it won't go against your sexual nature. However, how would YOU feel if you saw some muscular man stripping around with women watching this commercial?

Would you feel in some way violated by such none sense or wouldn't you mind? In my example, the campaign could be said all most all men are fit and muscular, etc., when that's not true. All men are different. My point is, I think you might feel differently if they were showboating a male dancing around for a female audience. You would probably hate the ad and regard it as tasteless or ridiculous.
 
I disagree, Frost. I think most guys probably wouldn't care very much in that situation. Which may have something to do with the fact that women have worked so hard to NOT be objectified by men that we get upset when it happens....or maybe guys just...don't care, lol.
 
Anchovy said:
Or maybe guys just...don't care, lol.

I just don't care... Maybe it is the Country and society I live in but the Women over here are allowed to objectify Men just as Men can objectify Women.

The only time it bothers me is in the real world when a person won't see past the image/stereotype to actually get to know the person.

But this is an advert there is nothing but what we see so whether it be a male or female cast as an object why can't anyone enjoy it if visual enjoyment is all you can really take from it?

Seriously though Frost if it was a Man I highly doubt it would bother me, (Naturally I might get a little jealous but that would result in some er.. better/more lovin... ;) ) in fact curiousity would have me watch it and maybe try and learn his moves... lol.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Anchovy said:
I think most guys probably wouldn't care very much in that situation. Which may have something to do with the fact that women have worked so hard to NOT be objectified by men that we get upset when it happens....or maybe guys just...don't care, lol.

FRAME this. i couldnt agree more. Men really DONT seem to care when it comes to advertising tactics and imagery...which is WHY advertising companies attempt to push the envelope so much and why titillation is becoming almost common place in commercials aimed at men.
 
Spellbinder said:
FRAME this. i couldnt agree more. Men really DONT seem to care when it comes to advertising tactics and imagery...which is WHY advertising companies attempt to push the envelope so much and why titillation is becoming almost common place in commercials aimed at men.

I think that is unfair as all adverts and most endorsements of products use models both male and female. I find that (over in England) Men are objectified just as much as Women.

For example this Aftershave add who is it aimed at?
proxy.php


One thing I will conceed to though is that I have never seen a Man used to sell a female product in the way that Women are used to endorse male products. Maybe it is a testament to the power you have over us and our desires to 'be with one of you'....
 
Really sorry for the double post (Farrah I can feel you getting ready to jump on me... "I told you NO!" :D )

Anywho i finally found THAT advert that sprung to mind when I was replying to this thread....

It's YET another Aftershave advert (6pm Uk TV Advert) objectifying men but this one was slightly more controversial.....

Enjoy: http://www.visit4info.com/details.cfm?adid=8464
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I just went to the new Harry Potter movie the other day and saw the same thing advertised *three* times before the movie started. The product advertised was "Bod for men body spray".

The whole commercial was a bunch of guys who were totally ripped running around doing sports or whatnot while women gawked and said "check out that bod" and "I want that bod".

When I saw that commercial I tuned-out. It didn't bother me that men were being objectified. As far as I was concerned, the target demographic for the ads were the girls who would buy them for their boyfriends.
 
Back
Top