Contraception

DonDaddyD

::Gesturing ala Nas::
Joined
Apr 14, 2005
Messages
450
Location
I'll tell you in another lifetime when we are both
With all the talk of contraception in the 'Abortion thread' it got me thinking. In my time I have found that Women take on more responsibility in practicing safe sex.

If it is a one night stand they are the ones who could end up pregnant with the man never to be seen again.

The same could be said within long term relationships. Passion killing condoms are impractical and many women go on the pill. Their responsibility and the Man has to worry about and remember nothing.

I'd say that women naturally fear getting pregnant far more than a Man naturally fears getting a women pregnant. And within that I'd say that using contraception appears to be more the Womans responsibility than a Man's.

I'm curious to know how and what you guys feel/think about that?
 
Foxfire
Foxfire
Great thread for discussion. Your the fire to Farrah's water/ice. Together its a trophical storm between you.
I don't agree fully with that statement. The guys I've known use condoms religiously in order to prevent disease and pregnancy. If the girl is on the pill and it can be confirmed and he is confident that she is clean, then the guys I know MIGHT go bareback. Most of the times that I have seen, the girl doesn't like the condom as much, it spoils her mood. Oh and one little-known fact: Condoms used correctly are MORE effective than the pill. The pill can be thwarted by many other medicines, especially antibiotics. A condom used correctly has a 99.9% effectiveness rate that is not impaired by medications.
 
condoms are not effective against MOST STD's...and something people seem not to think about is that they BREAK...OFTEN. there are other, far more effective methods such as spermicidal gels, diaphragms, the pill (if taken PROPERLY) and actually Rampage its the OPPOSITE if the PILL is used properly then IT is 99.9 percent effective in protecting against unwanted pregnancy.

but I do believe that its something that is generally pushed on WOMEN ..."to be responsible and use protection". Men FLAUNT their sexual endeavors and no one will question them about if they are being safe..but if a A WOMAN has a healthy sexual appetite people automatically whisper "i hope she's using the pill" or something.

just like its always been the unspoken practice to train girls to be chaste while men are encouraged to be sexually active at an early age.
 
Rampage said:
Oh and one little-known fact: Condoms used correctly are MORE effective than the pill. The pill can be thwarted by many other medicines, especially antibiotics. A condom used correctly has a 99.9% effectiveness rate that is not impaired by medications.

I'm not entirely sure that is true if the Pill isn't affected by an outside source and is working perfectly I'm almost certain (I've always been told) the Pill is more effective. However MORE can go wrong with the Pill making it less effective.

condoms are not effective against MOST STD's...and something people seem not to think about is that they BREAK...OFTEN. there are other, far more effective methods such as spermicidal gels, diaphragms

And actually the barrier forms of contraception such as Condoms and Femidoms are the ideal form of protection against most (not all) forms of STI's. I also don't know what cheap ass Condoms they sell in America but I've only had one Durex (my prefered choice) spilt and it wasn't latex. Though there are some brands that have been true to form and just fallen apart.

Most/Some Condoms come with spermicide but using spermicide on it's own isn't as affective as a Condom without spermicide.

Diaphragms aren't as effective as Condoms either. In fact the only contraceptive arguably as affective as the pill is the implant (small tablet in the arm passing pill-type hormones into the blood stream) and the coil (IDU) providing the womb doesn't reject it.

http://www.sex-project.com/contraception.shtml#condom

I think the attitude towards sex is different over there to here which is why the vast majority of my friends are so irresponsible. That said the girls aren't that much better just slightly...

And looking through my link along with the natural fear of getting pregnant I think that the more effective methods of contraception (Pill, Implant, Coil) are for women making the responsibilty their's. This also extends further to buying condoms as well.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
i wasnt saying that those options by themselves were more effective...i meant to say that in COMBONATION with the condom that would ADD to the protection. relying on just ONE thing is foolish...both parties should come with something and the PILL (there's more than one kind and thats why a woman should see a gynecologist..to determine which one is best for her) when used properly is VERY EFFECTIVE for female contreception.
 
Spellbinder said:
i wasnt saying that those options by themselves were more effective...i meant to say that in COMBONATION with the condom that would ADD to the protection. relying on just ONE thing is foolish...both parties should come with something and the PILL (there's more than one kind and thats why a woman should see a gynecologist..to determine which one is best for her) when used properly is VERY EFFECTIVE for female contreception.

You would hate England then as 'one is enough' is the general take on the matter of contraception.

Condoms and gels are just impractical when your in the heat of the moment. - Gels more so with one night stands as most are looking for a quick run through.

I had a Girlfriend who simply couldn't take the pill - any contraceptive pill. She always got some adverse reaction too them and though some were minor I felt it wrong that that was the price she had to pay to be safe. So we just stuck with Condoms.
 
Actually from everything I've been able to gather online on average condoms break any where from 2-6%. I don't think that qualifies as often. I've also not been able to find anything about codoms being anything other then EXTREMELY effective against stds unless said condom breaks.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
A condom used correctly is 99+% effective. Most condom breaks have to do with one of three things, not putting the condom on properly, using lubricants that are not compatible with condoms, and using the wrong size condom (condoms too big OR too small). Allowing for the condom to be used correctly, the rate is above 99%.
Pills, however, are equally as effective for those who take no other meds. But if you get an infection and take antibiotics, the pill can be mad euseless for the time you are taking the antibiotics and for a time afterward. I actually know someone that this happened to, and I get this information from the DOCTOR that I work for.
As far as STD's, the ONLY safe sex is abstinence or latex condoms. There are no other ways to protect yourself from STD"S.
 
Rampage said:
Pills, however, are equally as effective for those who take no other meds. But if you get an infection and take antibiotics, the pill can be mad euseless for the time you are taking the antibiotics and for a time afterward. I actually know someone that this happened to, and I get this information from the DOCTOR that I work for.
As far as STD's, the ONLY safe sex is abstinence or latex condoms. There are no other ways to protect yourself from STD"S.


what half way competent woman DOESNT know that? lol thats why i said for WOMEN, its important to go to the gynecologist."the pill" comes in many variations and not everyone is right for every woman..and the only way to KNOW which will be the most effective is to visit a gynecologist and thats any woman that is a parent with a half a brain will tell her daughter that its a wise thing to see a gyno once she becomes sexually active. as the daughter of a doctor, I've had the benefit of having a parent who was not afraid to educate me about sex and related issues when the time came.


the point is that "protection" is NOT something that men in this country have been raised to be as mindfull of. Women are always expected to be prepared for both herself AND the man. men are ENCOURAGED to start having sex early on to proove their manhood while women are told its better to "wait" and be chaste to be a true woman. its a bunch of double standards bullshit.
 
I'll give you that, Farrah, although I have noticed a disturbing trend. I see the double strandard in terms of sex often perpetuated by WOMEN on other WOMEN. You would think women catch enough hell from bad men that they would stand by each other. That is not often the case.
And on the thing about the pill, I have yet to give that info to a woman younger than 30 without them being floored because they didn't know it (except for you and my wife).
 
Spellbinder said:
condoms are not effective against MOST STD's...and something people seem not to think about is that they BREAK...OFTEN. there are other, far more effective methods such as spermicidal gels, diaphragms, the pill (if taken PROPERLY) and actually Rampage its the OPPOSITE if the PILL is used properly then IT is 99.9 percent effective in protecting against unwanted pregnancy.

but I do believe that its something that is generally pushed on WOMEN ..."to be responsible and use protection". Men FLAUNT their sexual endeavors and no one will question them about if they are being safe..but if a A WOMAN has a healthy sexual appetite people automatically whisper "i hope she's using the pill" or something.

just like its always been the unspoken practice to train girls to be chaste while men are encouraged to be sexually active at an early age.

I agree, STD prevention and unwanted pregnacy prevention should be the responsibility of both sexual partners. Also, I agree a whoremonger is a whoremonger whether it's the singer Madonna and her ills or Hugh Hefner and his ills, wrong is wrong no matter what gender.
 
I think the best contraception is abstinence but I know in this modern day and age more and more people are having sex at a younger age. If that option is out then I will say the pill and the condom combined together. However if all else fails have the guy get a vasectomy.

I too have heard stories of the girl saying "but it doesn't feel as good" referring to the usage of the condom. I think both sexes worry about contraception but I would think females are usually more protected than guys, but that's not always the case - especially with the above example.

It really depends on the persons involved in sex who is more responsible. The cases and studies vary between couples and the sexes.
 
Back
Top