Glasgow Tragedy

Mary Stuart

Queen of Scotland
Joined
Mar 12, 2005
Messages
153
Location
Scotland
I don't know how much of this was reported over in the US, but just before Christmas there was a major incident in Glasgow. A bin lorry (refuse collection) mounted the pavement and hit several people before crashing into the hotel. This happened in the city centre by the Christmas markets. It is believed the lorry driver had a heart attack and he is still in hospital himself.

One woman went to the ATM, turned round and saw her parents and her daughter mowed down and killed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-30603496

Last year, right before Christmas a helicopter crashed into a pub killing several people, also in Glasgow.
 
I wasn't sure how much it would be reported over there. I don't know how much is shown, but its just awful. So many unopened presents and lives ruined.
 
I haven't heard anything about this either. Oh my...that's really horrible. :(

This is my least favorite thing about Christmas, hearing about people dying around this time of year. I have the unique sense of feeling other people's pain so when I hear about people dying on and around Christmas and Thanksgiving [American], it pretty much amplifies the feeling of sorrow and pain for me. :(
 
It happened right outside the Glasgow office of my law firm, people saw the bodies and everything. It was not nice. The driver is still alive and there is no word on the cause. If it was a heart attack can you imagine having to live with that?
 
I hadn't heard about this until reading your post @Mary Stuart

wow :( I cant imagine what that must have looked like as it was happening, especially to be there & watch loved ones getting killed!? That's just awful :(

There have been similar incidents where a driver suffered a massive heart attack or seizure ended up crashing into a store, someone's home or something like that reported here. In fact, there was one about an elderly woman, who had a heart attack while driving & went off the road & plowed THROUGH some pumps @ the gas station before hitting the wall of the building. Miraculously, she survived, & no one was killed.
 
It is odd that the US news gets reported over here quite a lot but rarely the other way around - and I don't mean that as a dig to you guys personally.

Yeah as, I say the worst was 3 members of the one family wiped out in one go. When bad things happen people always look for someone to blame, what happens if no one is to blame?
 
It is odd that the US news gets reported over here quite a lot but rarely the other way around - and I don't mean that as a dig to you guys personally.

Yeah as, I say the worst was 3 members of the one family wiped out in one go. When bad things happen people always look for someone to blame, what happens if no one is to blame?

That's b/c a lot of the "mainstream" news sources in America are skewed, biased & corporate owned. & many ppl don't make the effort to take their news from alternative sources. I've had to learn to look elsewhere over the years, & that's why I was one of the few ppl posting on our previous board incarnation (SG) about the Scotland independence vote, & sharing news updates.

we really have to look outside of the "usual sources" in order to get wider coverage & less biased reporting in the news.

When bad things happen, there won't always be someone to blame. Sometimes, things just ...happen. :( It's easy for us all to forget that our bodies can & WILL sometimes fail us , & it doesn't care if we're driving, @ work or whatever else. It's just gonna happen.
 
Sadly in mine line of work I deal with things like this accident all the time, it has desensitised me to an extent.

It is sad to hear that things don't get the coverage, on a whole we should all support each other and be aware, given social media and the internet as a whole it is not like we can't say we don't have a source. Glad to hear you sought it out, few people outside did.
 
That is horrible to hear. I have personally lost a LOT of family members in December so I can sympathize. That is why I try to immerse myself in fun during the holidays. The kids help.​
 
That is horrible to hear. I have personally lost a LOT of family members in December so I can sympathize. That is why I try to immerse myself in fun during the holidays. The kids help.​

Its good that you have the kids there. That is the best thing, to see their wee faces on Christmas morning.

I lost my Mum unexpectedly and suddenly last November so now the holidays are not the same, besides the fact that my Dad hates Christmas. We started our own tradition now as my brother is never home, it is just Dad and I and the cats and we just chill together and watch movies.

There was another story where a couple killed themselves on Christmas Eve in a suidcide pact leaving two disabled children behind. It is thought they were having severe financial difficulties.
 
proxy.php


Antidote to the Christmas Blues!!!
 
I saw that when you posted it on FB, very cute!

I had my antidote in that I went to the sales, that resulted in lunch, that resulted in a few drinks, then two bottles of wine....work today...not fun!
 
Back
Top