ZorCrow, I hope you've never had sex with a woman who wasn't your wife.
Prophet said:Okay the thing about Race and being gay IS connected because as defined by the dictionary, being Gay is a race, just like the race of the JEWS! There is no country called Gayonia or Jewtown but here is the definition or RACE plain and simple!
race[SIZE=-1]1[/SIZE]([FONT=verdana, sans-serif] P [/FONT]) Pronunciation Key (r
s)![]()
n.
Last time I checked Gay people are united on a common history.. People need to be EDUCATION on Gay History before they open their mouths about it.
- A local geographic or global human population distinguished as a more or less distinct group by genetically transmitted physical characteristics.
- A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution: the German race.
- A genealogical line; a lineage.
- Humans considered as a group.
- Biology.
- An interbreeding, usually geographically isolated population of organisms differing from other populations of the same species in the frequency of hereditary traits. A race that has been given formal taxonomic recognition is known as a subspecies.
- A breed or strain, as of domestic animals.
Frost said:But what really is race other then another label? Women are labeled women, why? Is it their reproductive organs, the genetics, or a chromosome? Why are black folks labeled 'African American?' Is it their skin color or the ancestor of coming from Africa? I'm just trying to understand why Homosexual can't considered to be a race besides a sexual orientation.
When I think of Jewish people I think of thick beards, pretty religious, and huge noses. Now, that's not being stereotypical I want to make that clear, its just what I see.
I feel if we're labeling men, women, blacks, Jews, etc., gay people should be considered as well. Take women besides their body what are they mostly known for? Shopping, working, cleaning, mothers, lovers, delicate, etc. Again that's what I feel but that's what some people think of as women. The same can be considered of gay people besides a sexuality.
Gay people have excellent taste in style, clean freaks, shopping, passionate, free spirited, etc. Now those characteristic can be blended with African Americans, Jews, etc. My point being if these other races can do it, gays should have it too.
Women are not a race either...
But what I would say keeps being gay from being a race is that if you are gay, and you have children, they will not necessarily be gay. But race is passed on from the parent to the child.
:angel: I'm not trying to take away the importance of your being Gay and there is most certainly a Gay culture and identity that goes further than merely sexuality but that cannot support the argument that being Gay makes a person a part of a race. And from that acknowledgement I can understand the need for rights and equality, in the end homosexuals are people too.
However there is no hetrosexual race and in the argument of equality IF Gay's are considered a race surely hetrosexuals are one too?
But in the end isn't that the stereotype? How did that image come to your mind? It is an image enforced on society so that we identify a group of people by a common image. The image doesn't have to be accurate or true.
I'm not getting you are you saying that Gay's should be stereotyped and type casted by there practices? Isn't that what the fight for equal rights is trying to disassociate from. To show that being gay isn't bound by years of negative imagery and that homosexuals can expand further than what is associated with them.
Frost said:If race passes on from parent to child, then why when heterosexual couples have a child(ren) are they sometimes gay? Even if gay people have a child or children whose to say they won't be straight or gay?:angel:
They can get married, just not to someone of the same sexMat said:I think comparing homosexuality and the trials and tribulations that homosexuals have had to cope with throughout human history is unfair comparing to other races in the sense that homosexuals can actually hide who they are, whereas the Jews and in particular the African-Americans cannot.
And yeah, I agree with Lexi - homosexuals have every right to be just as miserable as the rest of us, which means they should be able to get married.![]()
Mat said:I think comparing homosexuality and the trials and tribulations that homosexuals have had to cope with throughout human history is unfair comparing to other races in the sense that homosexuals can actually hide who they are, whereas the Jews and in particular the African-Americans cannot.
Rampage said:I am concerned that some may not appreciate what I am saying, but I am simply asking that you understand the relative gravity of what is being discussed here. The ability to marry and not be ridiculed is not equal to the right to live, escape systematic persecution and have a fighting chance to raise and educate your children in peace in this country.
Titania said:I DO see what you are saying, and i understand... but what YOU are suggesting by your last statements is that gays dont have to face what you face... but they DO. they are as much a victim of hate crime and persecution and discrimination as you are. they ALSO have to worry about those things you mentioned, and to try to pretend they dont is naive. I am not sayig being gay is the same as being black, and if thats what it SEEMS im saying then perhaps im not making myself as clear as i thought i was....
this particular discussion may have at one point been strictly about the marriage thing... but NO ONE here should be under the impression that that is the ONLY thing we were talking about when we say 'rights and priviledges'.