VA Governor Race~ Death Penalty

Dapper Dan

<i>Just A<br>D R E A M E R</i>
Joined
Jan 12, 2005
Messages
696
Location
VA
I'm interested to get evetryone's opinion on this. We are gearing up to have elections for govenor in Virginia. The two major candidates are Jerry Kilgore and Tim Kaine... and for those of you who are in VA, the battle is quite furious! Recently, Jerry Kilgore has started to air ads based on his opponet's stance on the Death Penalty. The ads are quite moving and I am very interested to know what everyone thinks about the ads, and of course the death penalty in general. For those of you who are not from VA, keep in mind that we are the most conservative state in the union and the following facts about the death penalty nationwide in the United States:
=================================
The Death Penalty in the United States
​
~19,000 to 22,000 people executed since the 1600's
~500 executions since 1977 (99.5% men)
~3,500 people currently on death row (46% white, 43% black)
~38 states have the death penalty

Of the 500 executions since 1977:
~Lethal Injection 402
~Electrocution 144
~Gas Chamber 11
~Hanging 3
~Firing Squad 2
=================================

Now, I'll give you the links to the two ads that are running pretty much consistently on all major networks, the radio, and the internet...

Click Here For The First Ad
Click Here For the Second Ad

To the general layman who has no idea about judicial processes or the way the system work, how ppursuasive do you think these ads are?
 
Well, while I respect the views of the victim's family members I don't think the ads were effective in making me think less of Kaine. There are a number of political issues which, no matter what side of the fence you're on, I personally believe you're no more right or wrong than those on the opposite side. The death penalty happens to be one of them.

So for me, this isn't enough to make me not want to vote for him, and it certainly isn't enough for me to want to vote for Kilgore.

It's effective political advertising in the sense that it's addressing an issue that most americans have thought about and reached their own conclusion on. It's also addressing something that is easy for americans to understand (not as complex as tort reform or how the candidate plans on changing the healthcare system). The fact of the matter is, though, that the death penalty and support or opposition to it is such a small factor in politics that I really wish Kilgore would address something that effects more people. He could be talking about far more important things than the death penalty.

Oh yeah, and it's probably worth mentioning that in many cases I'm for the death penalty (repeat offenders being number one among them).
 
Your right when you say that the fight for govenor is getting really heated. We've even gotten a bunch of ads promoting both of the candidates here in Maryland! So it's obvious both men are doing their best to make sure they get elected.

However, I have to with Mat that neither ad's succsessfully swayed my 'vote' for each of the men. Although I do sympathize with the families, I don't think attacking Tim Kaine solely on the death penalty in attempts to discredit him does any good. Sure, it makes me think slightly lesser of him as a politician as I, am for the death penalty myself (In extreme cases of course, such as when one kills another, and they are repeating offenders, I believe they should weep the consequences of their actions). But I don't think I wouldn't vote for him just because he doesn't support the death penalty, that's hardly the deciding factor in whether a nominee should be elected or not. At least in my opinion.

So to answer the question, I don't think the ad's are that persuasive, at least not for me. Basing a vote off one political issue shouldn't be the way to decide whether one or the other should be elected. Now, if Tim Kaine also happened to be for/ or against a number of other issues that I don't agree on...then of course I wouldn't vote for him (If I could, but I'm not 18 just yet :whistle:). But unfortunatly Jerry Kilgore doesn't address other possible views that Tim Kaine stands on, he simply attacks him on the Death Penalty.
 
Lol, yeah our governor's race is very very heated. I'm not going to say much considering that I'm a volunteer for one of the candidates (can you guess which one???)

but I am going to say this: The "Death Penalty" ads are just 2 of many many ads that have been running. And the death penalty is in NO way the only issue addressed by EITHER candidate. IN fact, in those links that Dan put up, there are quite a few more ads listed.

I'm not gonna say much, but assuming that we-oops, I mean Jerry Kilgore's Campaign for Governor (;)) is running this race on one issue just isn't so.
 
HAH... this is true. Each candidate has several ADs up on their website. I'll post the links so you guys can can look at all the ads, several issues are addressed as well as direct stabs at each candidate. The reason I posed the two ads that I did, is because those are the two most recent ads and are the ones causing all the "buzz".

Jerry Kilgore TV ADs
Tim Kaine TV ADs
 
i was shocked when i first read the topic of this thread ....it seems like there's some serious "reaching" going on and using the plight of "families of victims" to bolster one's argument ....well if it were ANY OTHER TIME of year (outside of election time) i wonder if there would be as much , if ANY focus on those families?

i wouldnt base my vote either one on this alone because i think any other time it wouldnt have even been mentioned but it seems that now (as there is going to be a mayoral election here in my area very soon) that candidates will reach for ANYTHING if they think it will advance their platform.

just look at the "moral values" fixation of the presidential election...and look where we are now. aint nobody thinking about moral values lol.
 
I'm not surprised of the political bashing that occurs during Election Time. The same exact debate is hot in New York as well. I detest when any of the candidates bash one another, why spend the time and effort?

It really does not surprise me though with the ads focussing on the loss of a victim(s). What I did look more into was what each candidate offered and in the beginning section comparison I was tempted to say Jerry Kilgore, because of his opposition for gas taxes, state taxes, and his support for the death penalty. HOWEVER, as I saw the topic of Gay Marriages I see that Kilgore opposed it whereas Tim Kaine was for it and even gay adoption. So, lol, I'd probably vote for Timmy boy but I'm not a resident of Virginia.

But, back to the question being asked. I do support the death penalty 100%. I always believed in "an eye for an eye" no matter what. I guess I'm more strict with punishment than others but I feel why waste time, money, and space hoping a person will repent for their crimes. So many prisons are filled up and even overflowing with criminals that they have to be sentenced to another prison. I feel its really a waste and why should we let someone live when they have raped, murdered, etc., either innocent children, adults, etc. I think it should be kept....which is why I kinda liked Kilgore but I dislike that he opposes Gay Marriages.
 
Well, after watching all of the ads I see that there are a number of issues being addressed by both candidates, not just the death penalty. One thing that I'm curious about is this - has your current governor been a good, effective civil servant during his time in office? What have his approval ratings been like?

Considering Tim Kaine has his support (no doubt because they share the same political party) you'd think that this would make a difference to the votes. I know I'm more inclined to vote for a politician if they are vouched for by a politician I respect. Unless I think it's an insincere vote-of-confidence, as I believed it was with John McCain supporting Bush after his nomination.
 
No, Mat. No. I hate MArk Warner. I'm currently kinda...drunk, so don't expect stimulating political commentary, but I can't stand his policies. I think mostly I still hold a grudge about closing all those DMV locations. At this particular moment in time I'm not...going to (ie: capable of) talk intelligentingly about the policies of Gov. Warner that I dislike. But grr.

And the gay marriage thing: Yeah, I completely disagree with Jerry on that one. But that ISSUE is not up for vote this November and it's not the issue that's the MOST important to me (entirely possible that that's because I'm straight...I dunno)...so I have to go with thte guy who agrees with me the MOSt on the MOSt issues. And that's Jerry. (yes, I'm on a first name basis with the man. Plus he's AWESOME...just as a person) And Tim Kaine was a crappy crappy crappy mayor of Richmond. Crappy.

See? NOT stimulating political commentary, but hopefully amusing!!
 
Wouldn't it be nice if we could craft a candidate for ourselves instead of having to pick someone who stood for most of what we wanted but didn't like the rest of our values? Honestly, voting is a royal pain.

As for the ads.. I hate advertisemesnt, I've been occupying myself looking up interviews and so forth to try and sort out who believes what and it's depressing.
 
That would be spiffy! I'd make a candidate who just wants to keep government from getting in people's way as much as possible. You wanna marry a guy and you're a guy? Whatever, not the gov'ts business. Lower taxes! Lower spending! Let's just keep government OUT of people's hair as much as possible.

That's the candidate I want.
 
Anchovy said:
No, Mat. No. I hate MArk Warner. I'm currently kinda...drunk, so don't expect stimulating political commentary, but I can't stand his policies. I think mostly I still hold a grudge about closing all those DMV locations. At this particular moment in time I'm not...going to (ie: capable of) talk intelligentingly about the policies of Gov. Warner that I dislike. But grr.

And the gay marriage thing: Yeah, I completely disagree with Jerry on that one. But that ISSUE is not up for vote this November and it's not the issue that's the MOST important to me (entirely possible that that's because I'm straight...I dunno)...so I have to go with thte guy who agrees with me the MOSt on the MOSt issues. And that's Jerry. (yes, I'm on a first name basis with the man. Plus he's AWESOME...just as a person) And Tim Kaine was a crappy crappy crappy mayor of Richmond. Crappy.

See? NOT stimulating political commentary, but hopefully amusing!!

There's something disconcerting about both of us being drunk on a Wednesday night. Doubly so if you consider we're both posting on a political thread. Ah well.

I agree that it'd be nice if you could just pick someone who had all of your political beliefs instead of choosing the lesser of two evils, or the greater of two goods (ir you're inclined to say both of the candidate would be decent choices). I myself don't get bent out of shape if people don't agree with me on certain issues because:

1) It doesn't matter what party they are, no politician ever does shit for healthcare. They're always ineffectual and never get anything dramatic done with the system, so their stance on this is irrelevant to me.

2) Gay marriage doesn't bother me but it's not something I'm going to fight for tooth and nail. Hell, as far as I'm concerned if two people love one another no one can take that away from you.

3) Despite being pro-choice I think a pro-life stance is a valid opinion, if not an honorable one. It's even hard to argue which side as the moral high ground.

I like seeing the government take a hands-off approach as much as possible in a person's life. This includes our bogus drug enforcement laws (people who sell pot serve longer sentences than rapists? Fuck that), the gay marriage issue, etc. I can't say I'm always for less taxes, though. I think saying the lower taxes the better is kindof like saying "let's work together as little as necessary to make our country greater."

So many people in the middle class received an extra $500-$1000 annually from tax relief under Bush and that didn't dramatically better their lives, if it bettered their lives at all. But that $500 times several million? That's how you make great things happen - if only we had people in office who knew how and what to spend the money on.

:rant: Okay, time to take a breather...and possibly throw up all of this bud light I've been drinking...
 
Well... it's over, or shall soon be. I hate voting when I don't like the candidates but i did my duty.
 
Back
Top