Why do Christians Advertise so much?

Osiris

Servant of the Peace
Joined
Jan 23, 2005
Messages
248
Location
Maryland
No other religion that I know of advertises like Christians.

I get flyers in the mail, at my door step, coming out of Wal-mart, etc.

Then there are like 10 dedicated cable channels and a host of programs that air on other stations.

I went to the movies the other day and while I was waiting for the movie to start, local Churches were even advertising on the big screen!

I asked one of my boys why the Church is so desperate, and he was like "its a business".

Personally, as a student of religion one knows that on the global population scale that Christianity is falling behind in converts and overall is decreasing in population.

In my opinion, I think that all this advertising is a sign of desperation. Its like a cat being backed into a corner and fighting their way out with everything it has.

I say this, because no other religion does this advertising but is still steadily growing. For instance, Islam by all statistical accounts is the fastest growing religion in the world, but Muslims don't advertise, Islam is spread by word of mouth.

So I ask again, why do you think Christians Advertise so much?
 
i think we touched on this briefly in your "Religious poll" thread in electronica express. Zorcrow asked why is it that Christians get so much negative backlash but others like Buddhists , etc. do not.

I mentioned that i think its because Buddhits, Wiccans and other spiritual paths do not make it their business to force their beliefs down others throats. they make it their business to live their lives and apply their beliefs to their lives.

Christians in america (most) seem to think its their calling to chase down us "sinners" and convert us, and show us the way before its too late. and its been going on since the early 1900's "repent..the end is near" and all that "fire and brimestone" scare tactic.

and now look how many christians want to become politically oriented and bring the church into politics and try to INFLUENCE matters of law with religion. its causing a huge divide in the country and that was evident during the 2004 election....religion and politics DONT MIX and i think OTHER religions understand that. 20 years ago when i was being raised in a pentacostal church, the pastor of our congregation did NOT encourage political involvment. It was frowned upon to bring politics to the pulpit. He's passed on now and upon visiting that same church just earlier this year...the preachers were delivering politically charged messages that were very inflamatory and hardly conveying "god's word". its a sad state of affairs.

The church has become an INDUSTRY...with its televangelists, infomercials, pastors and biships announcing candidacy for the senate (Keith Butler anyone? :rolleyes: ) , mailers, flyers, people chasing you down in parking lots....and the like.
 
I think it's becuase so much of the emphasis in Christianity is on spreading the word that people just take it a step too far. I personally have no problem with someone trying to convert people so long as once that person has made it clear that they aren't interested they are left alone.
 
Wow, you resurrected an oldie, but goodie!

Its funny revisiting this topic, because now I don't feel the same way as I did nearly a year ago. Christianity appears to be imploading and with so much of the press being focused on the Arab World, no one even seems to notice Christians anymore, which is sad, because there are many believing Christians who do their religion justice, but the fanatics and the "missionaries" tend to turn people off.
 
Back
Top