Religion

I personally don't much like the idea of any organised religion, it has to be said. There were enough idiotic reasons for bigots to cause trouble without creating a social order where it becamse easier to do. Creating religions, as far as I can see, is more divisive than inclusive (although most religions like to believe otherwise, using the phrase "we're inclusive, as long as you renounce other faiths and join us!" or variant).

I have no problem with spirituality, or personal belief; I just have a problem with any system set up so that life is out of your hands, since you have a "higher power" who makes everything work, or even any state which creates "us" and "them".

The only moral dilemma that I have is that Catholicism, historically the religion responsible for the most bloodshed (what with Crusades, witch-hunts, and so forth), has also given the world some truly great works of art, either on canvas or the octave. The same goes for all other major religions too.
 
I had religion forced upon me at an early age. I was not allowed to make a choice on whether i wanted to go to church or not. I had to go. Once I got older I rebelled and quit going. Then some very scary things about my past came to light and I questioned the idea of God. It had been that way for many years up untill a couple months ago when my life seemed at it's lowest and my son was in the hospital hanging on to a life that had not had time to flourish. That day I knelt down and had my say with God. I cursed him and berated him and told him that if he did exist that he was good for nothing. They said my son would not last through the night and I damned God for allowing this. The next morning my son was still with us and he is now home and healthy. I cursed God and yet he still granted my greatest wish. I knew then that I was wrong and that I had to turn my life around. I am not holier than thow and I have a long way to go but I am now following Gods path and even though it seems like life just keeps punching me out I know thorugh him that I will survive and in the end I will be better for it through him.
 
I was brought up as a Christian, but decided otherwise when I was twelve. Although I don’t completely consider Wicca a ‘religion’, that’s the spiritual choice that I’ve made. I believe that children, some as young as eleven or twelve, should be able to decide their paths for themselves. That is, depending on their maturity level. It’s not that I don’t like Christians or accept their beliefs. I do greatly. I attend church with a friend of mine. Although it’s not really my place to be, I try my best to fit in and not be insulted or angered by some things. I want my friends to accept me for who I am, not judge me by my ‘religion’. I think that judging others in ANY way when it comes to religion is childish.

 
Back
Top