Whats right/wrong with religion?

Lawless said:
The first and foremost fault of organized religion is its political motivation. As long as religion operates beyond the realm of fatih it will lose to atypical human vices. Religion alway seeems to operate on the premise of not allowing choice.

I believe this is where most of the "divide" on this subject comes from. You can't just group every religion into one big box. Most religions do deal with choice, its the various interpretations of choice that seem to have people at an impass.

As a student of religion, I can tell you that most of the interpretation is subjective others are direct. Dealing with the major 3 (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) you will see that Judaism and Islam tells the believer that the choice is theirs and their destination is relegated by their choices and in the end, whatever choices they made will influence where they rest. In Christianity Choice is also dealt with, but choice is not relegated to action, but more so belief. Your belief in a certain dogmatic expression determines your destination.

Not to bash any religion, but it appears that the majority of anti-religion posts in this thread is a direct reaction to the Christian dogma and its influence in our western society. If one were to analyze the "eastern" religions they will see that a good majority of their critisms about religion in general would not apply.
 
Mat said:
Well, the thing about Buddhism is that unlike some other religions, it doesn't tell you everything. You're left to figure-out on your own how things should be interpreted. What aspects of sexuality were you curious about?

I'm not doubting that you have but that wasn't my point. My point was this, you place the blame on the religion. The RELIGION, is not to blame. As I pointed out to you, based on that religion's very own scripture, it's not about your life being worthless, it's about your life being saved. People through ignorance and pride TWIST religion to their own ends and THAT;S why religion gets trashed so much. I just wish more people would remember to blame the PERSON misusing the religion instead of lumping the whole thing altogether as bad.
 
Yes, but the religion still states I will be punished after death for not adhering to the religion; regardless of what the people are like in this life, they will still tell me that, and again, I resent that. I don't like being told that after I die, I will be somehow punished simply because I didn't have the same theological beliefs as the guy next to me. Whether or not this is true is immaterial; the fact is, as an atheist, I get told that I will go to hell, despite not being a bad person, and dislike being told that.
 
Hawksmoor said:
Yes, but the religion still states I will be punished after death for not adhering to the religion; regardless of what the people are like in this life, they will still tell me that, and again, I resent that. I don't like being told that after I die, I will be somehow punished simply because I didn't have the same theological beliefs as the guy next to me. Whether or not this is true is immaterial; the fact is, as an atheist, I get told that I will go to hell, despite not being a bad person, and dislike being told that.

Really depends on the religion. Know for a fact that both Judaism and Islam focus on an individuals deeds, more than their dogmatic expression. Judaism doesnt have a clear idea of hell or it doesnt exist altogether, and Islam says that the purpose of hell is for punishment for bad deeds and once that punishment is over, hell will be emptied and all will go to paradise.
 
sinosleep said:
I'm not doubting that you have but that wasn't my point. My point was this, you place the blame on the religion. The RELIGION, is not to blame. As I pointed out to you, based on that religion's very own scripture, it's not about your life being worthless, it's about your life being saved. People through ignorance and pride TWIST religion to their own ends and THAT;S why religion gets trashed so much. I just wish more people would remember to blame the PERSON misusing the religion instead of lumping the whole thing altogether as bad.


Well then frankly there's nothing that can be done in the case of Christianity. They believe that humans through direct inspirtation of God wrote the bible, the bible says people will be cast into the (pit, lake of fire, hell, what have you) if they don't believe in God, the bible also tells them to go forth into the word converting those they can so that they can be saved.

So basically what you would be asking for from a Christian is to stop believing in what they believe in and they aren't going to do that. I can understand what your saying, but I can also understand that they believe that that is what God has told them to do. So I'll just have to leave it at what I started at. So long as that Christian that tries to convert you leaves you alone once you've let them know you aren't interested then I don't see the problem. If they keep pestering you, it's that person's problem and not the religions. If what you disagree with is the fact that the bible states what it states well again, I can't really help you with that one.
 
Osiris said:
I believe this is where most of the "divide" on this subject comes from. You can't just group every religion into one big box. Most religions do deal with choice, its the various interpretations of choice that seem to have people at an impass.

As a student of religion, I can tell you that most of the interpretation is subjective others are direct. Dealing with the major 3 (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) you will see that Judaism and Islam tells the believer that the choice is theirs and their destination is relegated by their choices and in the end, whatever choices they made will influence where they rest. In Christianity Choice is also dealt with, but choice is not relegated to action, but more so belief. Your belief in a certain dogmatic expression determines your destination.

Not to bash any religion, but it appears that the majority of anti-religion posts in this thread is a direct reaction to the Christian dogma and its influence in our western society. If one were to analyze the "eastern" religions they will see that a good majority of their critisms about religion in general would not apply.

I agree that religions in and of themselves deal with choice but 'organized religion' does not. In the bible neither God nor Jesus made anyone follow them but gave everyone a choice and options depending on how you interpret them.

In a recent discussion I had with a baptist minister, he talked about the downward spiral of society, ie taking prayer out school, pre-marital sex, etc. and that a live and let live as long as no on gets hurt is not a good way to live. He also pointed out that freedom of religion was not originally intend to be on the US Constitution but an add on. To which I pointed out that the pilgrims had come to America to seek religious freedom and if actual religious freedom wasn't intended the we'd all be Protestants. To which I pointed out the hypocracy of his statement. Religious Freedom had to in definition be religious freedom, to live a lifestyle, because religion is a lifestyle, based on any religious belief or absence of religion entirely. However organized religion often goes through politic channels to 'impose' its view to the general public, which goes against the idea of religious freedom.

I did have to concede that too often in American society those who are not religious gives those that are a hard time about being religious. In the aspect that if someone gives an opinion on anything; abortion, cloning, sex, etc based off their faith they're given a hard time, even when they're just explaining why they feel that way, not imposing their view on anyone. Which shows a level of intolerance on the part of liberals who are the most vocal about religious freedom and tend to claim the mantle of social tolerance.
 
Back
Top